MEET THE PASTOR: THE MAN, THE MISSION, AND THE MESSAGE!
Who Is James Langston, and Why Does Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International Exist?
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International | October 2026
Have you ever wondered who is behind the messages, prayers, devotionals, missionary updates, books, and appeals for help that appear on this ministry's blog?
Who is the man behind Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International (POMI)?
What motivates him to keep preaching, writing, traveling, reaching out, and encouraging people after more than five decades of walking with Jesus Christ?
And perhaps most importantly, why should any of this matter to you?
Well, today, I'd like to pull back the curtain a little and introduce myself.
Not because I'm anyone special. Not because I want recognition, applause, or a pat on the back.
But because I believe that when people know the heart behind a ministry, they can better understand its mission, its vision, and the people it is trying to reach.
My name is James Langston. I'm the founder and Senior Pastor of Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International. And this is a little of my story.
FROM A SMALL TEXAS TOWN TO THE MISSION FIELDS OF THE WORLD
I was born on August 17, 1958, in El Campo, Texas.
I didn't arrive in this world with a grand plan to become a pastor, missionary, or author. Like most people, I had no idea where life would take me.
But God knew.
As a young boy, I was surrounded by the prayers and influence of family members who understood the importance of faith.
My great-grandmother's prayers helped lay a spiritual foundation that would influence the rest of my life. My grandmother recognized and encouraged God's calling upon my life when I was only six years old.
In 1973, at the age of fourteen, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.
That decision changed everything.
Now, I would love to tell you that every day since then has been filled with sunshine, singing angels, and trouble-free living.
But that wouldn't be the truth.
I've experienced victories and defeats, answered prayers and seasons of waiting, joy and heartbreak, mountain peaks and valleys.
And through it all, I've learned one indispensable truth:
God has never failed me, even when I didn't understand what He was doing!
TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS IN THE UNITED STATES NAVY
On June 4, 1976, I entered the United States Navy.
What began as a young man's decision to serve his country became a 27-year military career that would take me across oceans, introduce me to different cultures, and prepare me in ways I couldn't possibly have imagined.
I began my naval career as an enlisted sailor, attended Radioman "A" School, and received my first shipboard assignment aboard the USS Dubuque (LPD-8).
Over the years, I served in various assignments, advanced through the enlisted ranks, became a Chief Petty Officer in 1988, received a commission as a Chief Warrant Officer in 1991, and later transitioned into the Limited Duty Officer program in 1996.
I retired from the Navy in 2003 as a Lieutenant (O-3E).
The Navy taught me discipline, leadership, responsibility, accountability, perseverance, and the importance of accomplishing the mission.
But there was another mission unfolding in my life.
One that wouldn't end when I hung up my uniform.
The Navy taught me how to serve my country. Jesus Christ taught me why I must serve humanity.
A HUSBAND, FATHER, GRANDFATHER, AND SERVANT OF CHRIST
Long before many people knew me as Pastor Langston, I was simply James.
A husband trying to love his wife.
A father trying to raise his children.
A man trying to make wise decisions, provide for his family, and follow the Lord.
My wife, Cecilia, and I met in the Philippines in November 1978 and married on March 14, 1979, in Olongapo City.
Together, we've raised six children and have been blessed with fifteen grandchildren.
Family has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.
It has also been one of my greatest classrooms.
Marriage teaches you patience. Parenting teaches you sacrifice. Grandparenting teaches you that love keeps expanding.
And life teaches you that you don't always have all the answers!
Before I'm a pastor, I'm a husband, father, grandfather, and a sinner saved by the grace of God.
I'm not perfect.
I've made mistakes. I've had to apologize. I've had to learn difficult lessons.
But I serve a perfect Savior.
And that's the One I want people to see.
HOW PILGRIM OUTREACH MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL BEGAN
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International is a full-Gospel, interdenominational Christian ministry built upon a simple conviction:
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is meant to be shared, not stored away inside the four walls of a church building.
Jesus commanded His followers:
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." — Mark 16:15 (KJV)
Notice that little word: GO.
Not sit.
Not wait.
Not hope somebody else will do it.
GO!
Throughout our ministry's history, we've sought to take that command seriously.
For approximately two decades, our missionary outreach included Italy. Today, our focus has expanded to the Philippines and the surrounding nations of Asia.
In 2011, Acts 16:9 became especially meaningful to me as I sensed the Lord directing my attention toward the Philippines.
"Come over into Macedonia, and help us."
That biblical appeal captured what I believed God was placing upon my heart.
There were people who needed to hear the Gospel.
Families who needed encouragement.
Children who needed opportunities.
Communities where spiritual and practical needs existed side by side.
And I believed we were being called to help.
WHERE WE ARE TODAY—OCTOBER 2026
As I write this message, Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International is preparing for another significant chapter.
Our ministry's work in the Philippines has continued to develop, and we are preparing for an extended missionary assignment beginning later this month.
Our vision includes establishing a permanent ministry presence, developing a home church and operational headquarters, and expanding outreach opportunities throughout the Philippines and eventually into other parts of Asia.
But we are not interested in constructing buildings merely to have buildings.
We want to build a ministry that changes lives!
Our long-term vision includes seven principal areas of outreach:
1. Church Planting and Evangelism
Establishing Bible-believing congregations, conducting evangelistic outreach, and helping people grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. Mobile Medical and Dental Outreach
Developing mobile healthcare services capable of reaching communities where access to medical and dental care may be limited.
3. Adopt-a-School Initiatives
Helping children obtain educational supplies, assistance, and opportunities that might otherwise remain beyond their reach.
4. Orphanage Support
Providing practical assistance, encouragement, and Christian care for vulnerable children.
5. Tent Revivals and Community Evangelism
Taking the Gospel beyond church buildings into neighborhoods, villages, and communities.
6. Youth Outreach and Development
Creating opportunities for young people to receive mentoring, guidance, encouragement, and constructive alternatives to destructive influences.
7. Christian Discipleship
Teaching new and growing Believers how to understand the Scriptures, develop a prayer life, and faithfully follow Jesus Christ.
These are not small undertakings.
They require prayer, planning, committed workers, dependable partners, financial resources, and a willingness to persevere when circumstances become difficult.
But the vision remains.
One community. One family. One child. One soul at a time.
WHY DO WE DO WHAT WE DO?
Some people might reasonably ask:
"Pastor, you're retired. You've served your country. You've raised a family. You've written more than forty books. Why not just relax and enjoy your retirement?"
That's a fair question!
And believe me, there are days when a comfortable chair and a quiet afternoon sound mighty appealing.
But there's something I cannot escape.
People are still hurting. People are still searching. And people are still dying without knowing Jesus Christ.
There are children who need food, education, and encouragement.
There are families struggling to survive.
There are young people who need someone to believe in them.
There are elderly people who feel forgotten.
And there are countless individuals carrying spiritual burdens that nobody else knows anything about.
When I think about those needs, I'm reminded of Jesus' words:
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." — Matthew 25:40 (KJV)
We cannot solve every problem.
We cannot feed every hungry person.
We cannot reach every village.
But we can do something.
And doing something is far better than doing nothing!
THE MINISTRY DOESN'T STOP WHEN WE GO TO SLEEP!
One of the remarkable blessings of modern technology is the opportunity to reach people around the world without physically traveling to every country.
As of October 9, 2026, our ministry blog has recorded 28,095 visits!
We are believing God for more than 50,000 by the end of this year.
But this isn't about internet popularity.
Every visit represents an opportunity for someone to encounter biblical truth, find encouragement, learn about our missionary work, or discover the love of Jesus Christ.
Through our blog, Christian books, social media, videos, and online outreach, the message continues traveling even while we sleep.
What a tremendous opportunity!
MORE THAN FORTY BOOKS—AND ONE CENTRAL PURPOSE
Over the years, I've been privileged to write more than forty books covering biblical teaching, Christian encouragement, prayer, history, practical living, and difficult subjects that many people would rather avoid.
Some books are written to strengthen Believers.
Others address pain, discouragement, difficult decisions, human trafficking, suicide prevention, and the struggles people face in everyday life.
My goal isn't simply to sell books.
My goal is to put helpful, truthful, life-changing information into the hands of people who need it.
And here's something important I want you to know:
100% of the royalties from my books are used to support our missionary and outreach efforts.
When you purchase one of our books, you're not simply adding another title to your bookshelf.
You're helping support the work of reaching people with the Gospel and demonstrating Christ's love through practical service.
📚 Visit Our Bookstore: https://thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
HOW CAN YOU HELP US REACH ONE MORE SOUL?
You may be wondering what role you could possibly play in all of this.
Perhaps you've never been on a missionary trip.
Perhaps you don't preach, teach, sing, or lead a ministry.
Perhaps your financial resources are limited.
That's okay.
You don't have to do everything to do something meaningful.
First, you can pray.
Pray for our missionary team, the communities we serve, the children and families we encounter, and the doors God is opening.
Pray for wisdom, protection, provision, and spiritual fruit.
Second, you can share.
Share our blog posts, ministry updates, videos, and messages with friends, family members, and coworkers.
A simple share could place the Gospel before someone we might never meet.
Third, you can participate.
Perhaps God has given you skills, experience, or resources that could benefit our missionary efforts.
Teachers, medical professionals, dentists, construction workers, ministry leaders, and individuals with practical skills can all make a difference.
Fourth, you can give.
Financial contributions help us pursue outreach projects, provide practical assistance, support children, and develop the facilities and resources needed for ministry.
Whether someone gives a little or a lot, the important thing is that it comes from a willing heart.
"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." — 2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV)
We don't want anyone giving out of guilt, manipulation, or pressure.
We want people to understand the mission and prayerfully decide whether they would like to participate.
❤️ Support Our Mission: https://gofund.me/15ad3e401
A PERSONAL WORD FROM MY HEART
If you've read this far, thank you.
I hope you've learned a little more about who I am, where I've come from, and why Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International exists.
I'm not a celebrity pastor.
I'm not a wealthy televangelist.
I'm not someone who believes that a ministry's success should be measured by the size of its buildings, the number of people on its mailing list, or the amount of money it raises.
I'm a retired sailor, a husband, father, grandfather, pastor, missionary, and author who still believes the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest message this world will ever hear.
And I still believe that one soul is worth the effort.
If we can encourage one discouraged person, help one struggling family, support one child's education, strengthen one young Believer, or lead one lost soul to Jesus Christ, then we have accomplished something of eternal significance.
I don't know how many years the Lord has left for me on this earth.
But I do know what I want to do with the time He gives me.
I want to keep serving. Keep preaching. Keep writing. Keep encouraging. Keep reaching. And keep putting feet to my faith.
Because the Great Commission doesn't come with a retirement date.
WILL YOU JOIN US?
Maybe you'll never travel to the Philippines.
Maybe you'll never stand behind a pulpit.
Maybe you'll never write a book or lead a missionary team.
But you can still be part of what God is doing.
Your prayers can strengthen those on the mission field.
Your encouragement can help someone persevere.
Your generosity can provide opportunities for those who have very little.
And your willingness to share the Gospel can reach someone who desperately needs to hear it.
Together, we can help reach one more soul for Jesus Christ.
That's our mission.
That's our heartbeat.
And that's why we do what we do.
If you'd like to learn more about my life, background, and ministry journey, I invite you to visit our dedicated page:
MEET THE PASTOR—JAMES LANGSTON
👉 Read My Story Here:
https://tinyurl.com/34v78px8
Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself.
May the Lord bless you, keep you, strengthen your faith, and help you discover the wonderful purpose He has for your life.
And remember:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE THE WHOLE WORLD TO CHANGE SOMEBODY'S WORLD!
Sometimes all it takes is reaching one more soul.
HELP US HELP THEM—ONE SOUL AT A TIME.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International — Your Feet to the Nations
We are your eyes, ears, mouths, and feet in Asia.
🌎 Ministry: https://pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Bookstore: https://thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📰 Ministry Blog: https://joybells49.blogspot.com
❤️ Support Our Mission: https://gofund.me/15ad3e401
100% of our book royalties support our missionary and outreach efforts.
Relevant @Mentions and Tags:
@ChristianMissions @GlobalEvangelism @ChristianLeadership @MissionaryOutreach @ChristianAuthors @BibleTeaching @ChristianDiscipleship @FaithInAction
Hashtags:
#MeetThePastor #JamesLangston #PilgrimOutreachMinistriesInternational #YourFeetToTheNations #OneSoulAtATime #GreatCommission #ChristianMissions #PhilippinesMissions #GlobalEvangelism #ChristianLeadership #FaithInAction #MissionaryLife #SharingTheGospel #ChristianOutreach #HelpUsHelpThem

Comments
Post a Comment