WHEN HURT HARDENS THE HEART
“I Prayed, God Didn't Answer—So Why Should I Believe Him Anymore?”
“Harden not your hearts...” — Hebrews 3:8
I've sat across the table from hundreds of people who have basically given up on God.
I've looked into their eyes.
I've heard their stories.
And many times, their words sound something like this:
“I prayed, but God didn't answer me.”
“Why did God allow my mother to die?”
“We needed help paying our bills and buying food. I asked God countless times, but He never responded.”
“I begged God to heal my loved one.”
“I asked Him to save my marriage.”
“I prayed for a job.”
“I asked Him to help my child.”
“I believed. I waited. Nothing happened.”
Then comes the question beneath all the other questions:
“HOW CAN I BELIEVE GOD WHEN IT FEELS LIKE HE HAS NEVER HELPED ME?”
When someone reaches that place, quoting another Bible verse at them may not immediately change anything.
I've seen the despair.
I've seen the hurt.
I've seen the anguish.
I've seen the confusion.
I've watched tears form in eyes that have cried so many times there almost seemed to be no tears left.
And sometimes, no matter what I say, it doesn't get through.
Something has happened inside.
Pain has slowly become disappointment.
Disappointment has become anger.
Anger has become resentment.
Resentment has become unbelief.
And unbelief has begun hardening the heart.
“HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS”
Hebrews gives us a serious warning:
“While it is said, To day if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts...” — Hebrews 3:15
We often think of a hardened heart as belonging to some wicked person who hates God and wants absolutely nothing to do with Him.
But that isn't always how hardening begins.
Sometimes it begins with hurt.
Sometimes it begins beside a hospital bed.
Sometimes it begins at a graveside.
Sometimes it begins with an eviction notice.
Sometimes it begins when the refrigerator is nearly empty.
Sometimes it begins when a marriage collapses.
Sometimes it begins when your child is hurting and you cannot fix it.
Sometimes it begins when you prayed with everything inside you—
and the answer you desperately wanted never came.
You didn't wake up one morning and decide:
“I'm going to harden my heart against God today.”
No.
You hurt.
Then you questioned.
Then you waited.
Then you became disappointed.
And somewhere along the way, something inside you whispered:
“Why bother praying anymore?”
MAY I TALK TO THE HURTING PERSON FOR A MOMENT?
Not the theologian.
Not the preacher.
Not the person who has an answer for everything.
I want to speak directly to the person reading this who is angry with God.
Maybe you haven't told anyone.
Perhaps you still attend church.
You still smile.
You still say, “God bless you.”
You may even still pray occasionally.
But underneath everything is a wound you have never resolved.
Something happened.
Or something didn't happen.
And you've never gotten over it.
You asked God:
“Why?”
And Heaven seemed silent.
If that's you, I want you to hear something very carefully.
God is not frightened by your questions.
He already knows you're hurting.
He already knows you're angry.
He already knows you're confused.
He knows about the disappointment you've tried to hide from everyone else.
So don't pretend with Him.
Tell Him.
“God, I'm hurt.”
“God, I'm angry.”
“God, I don't understand.”
“God, I prayed.”
“God, I thought You were going to answer.”
“God, I don't know how to trust You anymore.”
Tell Him the truth.
Because the God you're angry with is also the God who is near enough to hear you.
“THE LORD IS NIGH UNTO THEM...”
Now listen to Psalm 34:18:
“The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.”
Please read that again.
Slowly.
“The LORD is nigh...”
Near.
Not far away.
Not indifferent.
Not standing somewhere in Heaven watching you suffer without concern.
Near.
And notice who Scripture specifically says He draws near to:
“Them that are of a broken heart.”
That's you.
The person crying at night.
The widow sitting alone.
The parent grieving a child.
The family wondering how they're going to buy groceries.
The person who lost the job.
The husband whose wife walked away.
The wife whose husband abandoned the family.
The person waiting on medical results.
The believer who prayed until they didn't know what else to say.
The person wondering:
“God, where were You?”
Psalm 34:18 does not tell you that brokenhearted people never hurt.
It tells you something perhaps even more important:
YOU DO NOT HURT ALONE.
“BUT PASTOR, MY MOTHER STILL DIED.”
I know.
And I will not insult your grief by pretending a few sentences can explain it away.
Sometimes Christians become so anxious to defend God that we forget to sit with the hurting person.
Job's friends actually did something right before they started giving speeches.
They sat with him.
For seven days.
They saw his grief was great.
There are moments when people don't need another explanation.
They need somebody willing to sit beside them and say:
“I don't understand everything either—but I'm not leaving you here alone.”
And there are questions I cannot answer.
Why did one person recover while another died?
Why did one family receive the financial breakthrough while another lost everything?
Why did one marriage survive while another ended?
Why did one prayer seem to receive an immediate answer while another person prayed for years?
I cannot give you a neat explanation for every tragedy.
And neither can anyone else.
But there is an enormous difference between saying:
“I don't understand what God did”
and saying:
“Therefore, God doesn't care.”
Those are not the same statement.
DON'T LET WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND DESTROY WHAT YOU DO KNOW
This is where Hebrews 3 becomes so important.
Pain can begin rewriting our theology.
We start defining God by our worst experience.
“My mother died, therefore God doesn't love me.”
“I lost my home, therefore God isn't faithful.”
“My prayer wasn't answered the way I expected, therefore prayer doesn't work.”
“My child suffered, therefore God must not care.”
But beloved, be careful.
Don't allow one chapter of your life to write the conclusion of the entire book.
You cannot see everything God sees.
You do not know everything God knows.
And what looks like the end from where you're standing may not be the end at all.
A HARD HEART DOESN'T STOP THE PAIN
This is something we desperately need to understand.
You may think:
“If I stop believing, I won't be disappointed anymore.”
So you build a wall.
You stop praying.
Stop expecting.
Stop trusting.
Stop going to church.
Stop reading Scripture.
Stop talking about God.
You tell yourself:
“I don't care anymore.”
But underneath that hardened exterior, the wound is still there.
Hardness doesn't heal pain.
It only builds a wall around it.
And eventually that wall designed to keep disappointment out also begins keeping comfort, hope, faith, love, and healing out.
That is why Scripture pleads:
“To day if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts.” — Hebrews 3:15
God isn't trying to condemn the wounded person.
He's trying to reach you before the wound becomes a prison.
YOU CAN BE ANGRY AND STILL TURN TOWARD GOD
Somebody needs to hear this.
You do not have to get all your emotions straightened out before approaching God.
Come hurting.
Come confused.
Come crying.
Come disappointed.
Come with questions.
Come when you don't know what to say.
Come when your prayer consists of nothing more than:
“Jesus, help me.”
The Psalms are filled with people crying out to God from anguish.
David asked:
“How long wilt Thou forget me, O LORD? for ever?” — Psalm 13:1
That's in the Bible.
God allowed that prayer to remain in Scripture.
Why?
Because faith isn't pretending everything feels wonderful.
Faith sometimes looks toward Heaven through tears and says:
“God, I don't understand You right now—but I'm still talking to You.”
That is faith too.
GOD'S SILENCE DOES NOT MEAN GOD'S ABSENCE
Jesus Himself cried from the Cross:
“My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?” — Matthew 27:46
Think about that.
The Son of God entered the depths of human suffering.
Christianity does not present us with a God who knows nothing about pain.
Jesus knew rejection.
Jesus knew betrayal.
Jesus knew grief.
Jesus knew physical agony.
Jesus knew what it was to weep.
And Jesus knew death.
So when you cry, you are not crying before a God incapable of understanding suffering.
Hebrews tells us that we have a High Priest who is touched with the feeling of our infirmities.
Jesus understands.
MAYBE GOD DIDN'T ABANDON YOU
Maybe you simply haven't reached the place in the story where you can understand what He was doing.
Joseph could not understand the pit while he was in it.
He could not understand slavery while wearing chains.
He could not understand prison while sitting behind bars.
But years later, Joseph could look backward and recognize something he could never have seen looking forward:
“But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good...” — Genesis 50:20
The pit wasn't the ending.
The prison wasn't the ending.
The betrayal wasn't the ending.
And beloved—
your present pain may not be the ending either.
DON'T WALK AWAY FROM GOD BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND GOD
Where will you go?
Back into the world that wounded you?
Back to substances?
Back to bitterness?
Back to isolation?
Back to hopelessness?
Back to trying to carry everything yourself?
Peter once faced a moment when many disciples stopped following Jesus.
Jesus asked the twelve whether they would leave too.
Peter answered:
“Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.” — John 6:68
Peter didn't say:
“Lord, I understand everything.”
He essentially recognized:
“Where else are we going to go?”
Sometimes that is where faith stands.
“Lord, I don't understand—but I'm staying.”
PLEASE DON'T HARDEN YOUR HEART
If you remember nothing else from this message, remember this.
Your pain is real.
Your questions are real.
Your disappointment may be real.
Your grief is real.
But please—
don't turn temporary pain into permanent separation from the One who loves you.
Don't let yesterday's unanswered question prevent tomorrow's encounter with God.
Don't let the grave become a wall between you and Jesus.
Don't let financial hardship convince you that Heaven has forgotten your address.
Don't let disappointment convince you that God has stopped loving you.
And don't let bitterness become the final chapter of your story.
Hebrews says:
“TODAY.”
Not someday.
Not when you understand everything.
Not when all the pain disappears.
Today.
If you hear His voice—
harden not your heart.
HE IS NEARER THAN YOU THINK
Perhaps you're reading this with tears in your eyes.
Maybe this message reopened something you've been trying to bury.
Then I want to leave you with the words God placed upon my heart for this message:
“The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart...” — Psalm 34:18
He is near.
Right now.
In your grief.
Near.
In your confusion.
Near.
In your financial struggle.
Near.
In the hospital room.
Near.
At the graveside.
Near.
In the empty house.
Near.
In the midnight hour when everyone else is sleeping.
Near.
You may not feel Him.
But His nearness does not depend upon your feelings.
LET ME PRAY WITH YOU
Father,
Someone reading these words is hurting.
They prayed, and they believe You didn't answer.
They asked, and nothing seemed to happen.
They lost someone they loved.
They needed help that seemingly never came.
And somewhere along the journey, their heart began becoming hard.
Lord, please reach beyond that wall today.
Not with condemnation.
With Your love.
Remind them that You have not forgotten them.
Remind them that their tears matter.
Remind them that their questions do not frighten You.
Remind them that even when they cannot trace Your hand, they can still trust Your heart.
Father, where bitterness has grown, bring healing.
Where anger has taken root, bring peace.
Where faith has almost disappeared, breathe upon that tiny ember again.
Where someone feels completely alone, let Psalm 34:18 become more than words printed upon a page.
Let them experience its truth:
“The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart.”
Lord, draw them near.
Help them pray again.
Help them believe again.
Help them hope again.
Help them trust again.
And if all they can whisper today is—
“Jesus, help me...”
Let them discover that is enough to begin.
In the Name of Jesus Christ,
Amen.
ONE LAST WORD FROM MY HEART TO YOURS
If you're angry with God today, talk to Him.
If you're disappointed with God, tell Him.
If you don't understand, ask Him.
If you're broken, come to Him.
If you stopped praying, start again.
You don't need a beautiful prayer.
You don't need religious language.
You don't have to pretend you're okay.
Just come.
Because the God you thought was far away may be much closer than you ever imagined.
“The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart.” — Psalm 34:18
Don't harden your heart.
He's still there.
And He is nearer than you think.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International
Your Feet to the Nations
We are your eyes, ears, mouths, and feet in Asia.
🌎 Ministry: pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Bookstore: thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📰 Ministry Blog: joybells49.blogspot.com
Help us help them—one soul at a time.
@YouVersion @BibleGateway @BibleHub @BlueLetterBible @BillyGraham @OurDailyBread @SamaritansPurse @CBNNews @CrosswalkCom @ChristianityToday
#Brokenhearted #GodIsNear #Psalm3418 #Hebrews3 #HardenNotYourHeart #TrustGod #FaithInGod #UnansweredPrayer #WhenGodSeemsSilent #GodHasNotForgottenYou #HopeInJesus #JesusChrist #JesusSaves #Prayer #Faith #Healing #Grief #Heartbreak #ChristianEncouragement #ChristianFaith #ChristianLiving #Bible #Scripture #Hope #GodCares #GodIsFaithful #ComeBackToGod #DontGiveUpOnGod #JesusHelpMe #Ministry #Evangelism #ChristianMissions #PhilippinesMissions #AsiaMissions #PilgrimOutreachMinistries #YourFeetToTheNations

Comments
Post a Comment