🎙️ CITIZENS VOICE
A Conversation with Pastor James Langston
Founder & Senior Pastor, Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International
Mock Interview | August 2, 2026
Editor's Note: Citizens Voice, its organizational history, personnel, investors, and the interview presented below are fictional and were created as a mock-interview format for this ministry feature. The statements attributed to Pastor James Langston are written to represent his ministry history, convictions, vision, and experiences.
ABOUT CITIZENS VOICE
Citizens Voice is presented in this mock feature as an independent American digital journalism and public-interest media organization established in 2014 by fictional journalist and civic commentator Daniel R. Whitmore.
Its fictional mission is simple:
“Give ordinary people access to extraordinary conversations.”
Citizens Voice focuses on long-form interviews and human-interest reporting involving faith leaders, missionaries, educators, veterans, entrepreneurs, nonprofit organizations, community leaders, and individuals whose work often occurs outside the national spotlight.
The fictional organization employs approximately 38 full-time journalists, editors, researchers, producers, photographers, and administrative personnel, supplemented by independent contributors throughout the United States and overseas.
Its fictional operations are privately financed through reader subscriptions, advertising revenue, individual investors, charitable journalism grants, and private capital. For purposes of this mock profile, its founding investors include the fictional Whitmore Media Foundation, Heritage Civic Ventures, and Franklin Public Media Partners.
Citizens Voice is portrayed as editorially independent of its financial supporters.
THE FORMALITIES
Citizens Voice: Pastor Langston, thank you for joining us. We know you have an extremely busy schedule, so we appreciate you taking time to sit down with us.
James Langston: Thank you. The pleasure is mine. Any opportunity to talk about Jesus Christ and what the Lord is doing through Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International is an opportunity I'm grateful for.
Citizens Voice: Before we begin, how should we address you? Pastor Langston? Reverend Langston? James?
James Langston: Laughs. James is fine. Pastor is fine. I've been called quite a few things over the years. As long as you don't call me late for dinner, we'll get along just fine.
Citizens Voice: Laughs. Fair enough.
Before today's interview, our staff spent some time reviewing your background. Twenty-seven years in the United States Navy. Husband. Father. Grandfather. Pastor. Missionary. Author. Founder of an international ministry.
That's quite a journey.
James Langston: It has been quite a journey, but I certainly can't take credit for all of it. God has been very good to Cecilia and me.
There have been mountaintops.
There have also been valleys.
There have been times when we understood exactly what God was doing—and other times when we didn't have a clue.
But looking backward, you can see His hand.
A SHORT COMMENTARY
There is something immediately noticeable about Pastor James Langston.
He speaks about ministry differently from someone describing a corporation, career, or personal brand.
Numbers matter to him—but people matter more.
Buildings matter—but souls matter more.
Money matters because missions require resources—but fundraising clearly isn't what he considers the mission.
Throughout our conversation, Langston repeatedly returns to one thought:
“One more soul.”
His ministry's language reflects it:
HELP US HELP THEM—ONE SOUL AT A TIME.
And when discussing the future, he doesn't begin with buildings, budgets, or organizational charts.
He begins with people.
With those formalities behind us, we began our conversation.
🎙️ THE DISCUSSION
1. PLEASE TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND PILGRIM OUTREACH MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL.
Citizens Voice: Let's begin with the obvious question. Who is James Langston, and what exactly is Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International?
James Langston: Well, first and foremost, I'm a Christian.
Everything else comes after that.
I gave my life to Jesus Christ in 1973 when I was fourteen years old. I joined the United States Navy in 1976 and eventually served twenty-seven years before retiring in 2003.
Along that journey, the Lord gave me a wonderful wife, Cecilia. We met in the Philippines in 1978 and married in 1979.
We've raised six children, and God has blessed our family with grandchildren.
But throughout everything—the Navy, family, ministry, writing—there has always been this call of God on my life.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International grew from that calling.
We're a full-gospel, interdenominational Christian ministry with a very simple purpose:
TAKE JESUS TO PEOPLE.
Not merely invite people to come to us.
Go to them.
That's why our ministry tagline is:
“YOUR FEET TO THE NATIONS.”
We tell our supporters:
“We are your eyes, ears, mouths, and feet in Asia.”
If you can't physically go, we'll go.
If you can't stand in that village, we'll stand there.
If you can't hand that Bible to someone, we'll hand it to them.
If you can't pray with that family personally, we'll kneel beside them.
But we're doing it together.
2. WHAT IS THE REACH OF THE MINISTRY?
Citizens Voice: When you say international ministry, how broad is the vision?
James Langston: Broad.
Probably broader than my bank account would like it to be. Laughs.
But seriously, we've never believed ministry should be limited to preaching behind a pulpit.
Jesus ministered to the whole person.
People are spiritual beings, certainly, but they're also hungry.
They get sick.
Their children need education.
Families lose homes.
Communities experience disasters.
Young people need somewhere safe to go.
People need discipleship after salvation.
So our outreach vision includes several major areas:
Church planting.
Evangelism and open-air ministry.
Bible distribution and discipleship.
Mobile medical and dental outreach.
School sponsorship and educational assistance.
Orphanage support.
Youth facilities and programs.
Tent revivals.
Food and emergency assistance.
Disaster response.
Home and community assistance.
Our goal isn't to walk into a community, preach for an hour, take pictures, and disappear.
We want relationships.
We want discipleship.
We want sustainability.
We want somebody we reached today eventually reaching somebody else tomorrow.
That's multiplication.
3. DO YOU HAVE OFFICIAL U.S. BACKING?
Citizens Voice: Is Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International officially backed by the United States government or another major American organization?
James Langston: No.
We're independently operated.
I'm extremely proud of my military service and grateful for my country, but our ministry isn't an arm of the United States government.
Nobody in Washington is sending us overseas.
God sent us.
We depend upon people who believe in the vision—churches, friends, families, readers, supporters, people who pray, and people who financially give.
That independence gives us freedom, but it also creates enormous responsibility.
When somebody gives us $10, $25, $100, or $1,000, I don't look at that casually.
Somebody worked for that money.
Somebody trusted us with it.
And ultimately, we're accountable to God for what we do with it.
That's serious business.
4. WHY THE PHILIPPINES—OR, MORE BROADLY, ASIA?
Citizens Voice: Why focus so heavily on the Philippines and Asia?
James Langston: That's a wonderful question because the Philippines wasn't something Cecilia and I simply picked from a map.
Obviously, there's a personal connection.
Cecilia is Filipina.
We met there.
We married there.
The Philippines has been part of our family's story for almost half a century.
But ministry goes deeper than sentiment.
In 2011, I felt very strongly that the Lord impressed Acts 16:9 upon my heart.
Paul saw the Macedonian call:
“Come over into Macedonia, and help us.”
In my heart, the message was essentially:
Go to the Philippines and preach the Gospel there also.
I didn't know how.
I didn't know when.
I didn't know what everything would look like.
But I knew what God had placed in my heart.
Sometimes God gives you the destination before He gives you the directions.
So you walk by faith.
Today our vision extends beyond the Philippines into Asia.
The Philippines is a strategic base because of our family connection, language relationships, cultural familiarity, geography, and decades of connection with the country.
But I don't believe God is saying:
“Stop at the Philippine shoreline.”
I believe He's saying:
GO.
5. WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AND THE MINISTRY IN FIVE TO TEN YEARS?
Citizens Voice: Paint the picture for us. Five or ten years from now—what do you see?
James Langston: If the Lord gives me those years, I want to spend them.
I don't want to preserve them.
I want to spend them for the Gospel.
I envision a permanent ministry headquarters in the Philippines.
A home church.
Training and discipleship facilities.
Expanded student sponsorship.
Mobile medical and dental capability.
More churches planted.
More communities reached.
Youth facilities.
Stronger disaster-response capability.
Missionaries and local leaders trained and sent into other areas of Asia.
I want Filipinos reaching Filipinos.
And then Filipinos reaching Asia.
That's important.
The goal shouldn't be to make communities permanently dependent upon an American missionary.
MAKE DISCIPLES WHO MAKE DISCIPLES.
If ten years from now people say, “James Langston built something impressive,” I'll consider that a pretty poor measurement.
I'd rather hear:
“Thousands of people were reached with the Gospel, and they're reaching thousands more.”
That would mean something.
6. WHAT DENOMINATIONAL FAITH GROUP DO YOU ADHERE TO?
Citizens Voice: Pentecostal? Non-denominational? Interdenominational? Where does POMI fit?
James Langston: The best description is:
FULL-GOSPEL AND INTERDENOMINATIONAL.
I appreciate my Pentecostal heritage and believe in the present-day ministry and power of the Holy Spirit.
But Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International isn't interested in building denominational walls.
If you believe the Bible is God's Word, Jesus Christ is Lord, salvation comes through Him, and we're commissioned to take the Gospel to the world, we already have an awful lot to talk about.
I'm not going to arrive in a village where somebody needs Jesus and ask:
“Before I tell you about Christ, what denomination are you?”
No.
We're going to preach Jesus.
Jesus saves.
Jesus heals.
Jesus fills.
AND JESUS CHRIST IS COMING AGAIN.
That's our message.
7. WHAT ARE YOUR GREATEST CHALLENGES?
Citizens Voice: What are the closed doors? What keeps you awake at night?
James Langston: Resources.
Time.
People.
Logistics.
Distance.
Weather.
Government requirements.
Travel.
Transportation.
Finding dependable local partners.
And sometimes getting people thousands of miles away to understand needs they cannot personally see.
That's difficult.
Someone in America can spend $20 or $30 without thinking much about it.
Somewhere else, that amount can make a meaningful difference to a struggling family.
But here's another challenge:
You cannot help everybody.
That's hard for me.
You meet ten families needing help and have enough resources for three.
Which three?
You see thirty children needing educational assistance and can sponsor fifteen.
Which fifteen?
People sometimes imagine missionary work as beautiful photographs with smiling children.
And there are beautiful moments.
But there's another side.
You see things you cannot unsee.
You meet people you cannot forget.
You go to bed knowing somebody still needs something you weren't able to provide.
That will humble you.
8. IF ALL FINANCIAL SUPPORT STOPPED TOMORROW, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
There was a noticeable pause before Langston answered our final question.
Citizens Voice: You're a faith-based ministry. Suppose every donation stopped tomorrow.
No donors.
No outside financial support.
Nothing.
What would you do?
James Langston: I'd pray.
Citizens Voice: That's it?
James Langston: No.
But that's where I'd start.
Then I'd get up from prayer and keep doing whatever God gave me the ability to do.
I've learned something over the years:
MONEY IS A TOOL. IT IS NOT GOD.
Money can buy Bibles.
Money can buy food.
Money can build buildings.
Money can fuel vehicles.
Money can purchase medical equipment.
Money can send missionaries.
So let's not pretend ministry doesn't require money.
It does.
But money didn't call me.
Money didn't save me.
Money didn't sustain Cecilia and me all these years.
GOD DID.
If every donation stopped tomorrow, our methods might have to change.
Our timeline might change.
Certain projects might slow down.
We might have to do with less.
But as long as I had breath in my body, I could still tell somebody:
JESUS SAVES.
I could still pray.
I could still preach.
I could still encourage.
I could still hand somebody whatever I had available.
And I could still believe God.
Faith doesn't mean sitting down and doing nothing while waiting for money to fall from Heaven.
Faith means obeying God with what is presently in your hand while trusting Him for what isn't.
If all the money disappeared tomorrow—
THE CALLING WOULD STILL BE THERE.
And as long as the calling remains, we'll keep going.
CLOSING REMARKS
Citizens Voice: Pastor Langston, after everything we've discussed, what would you like to say directly to the person reading this interview?
James Langston: I'd say three things.
First:
KNOW JESUS CHRIST FOR YOURSELF.
Religion isn't enough.
Church membership isn't enough.
Your parents' faith isn't enough.
You need a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Second:
DO SOMETHING WITH WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU.
You don't have to be a missionary.
You don't have to preach.
You don't have to travel overseas.
But you can pray.
You can encourage somebody.
You can give.
You can help.
You can tell someone about Jesus.
You can put some feet to your faith.
And third:
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE WHAT GOD CAN DO WITH ONE OBEDIENT PERSON.
I'm one man.
Cecilia and I are two people.
We can't reach the world ourselves.
But I can reach one.
You can reach one.
That person can reach another.
And suddenly—
one becomes ten.
Ten become a hundred.
A hundred become thousands.
That's how the Gospel has traveled for two thousand years.
ONE SOUL AT A TIME.
🎙️ FINAL GREETINGS
Citizens Voice: Pastor James Langston, thank you for your service to your country, for sharing your story, and for giving us your time today.
James Langston: Thank you for allowing me to share it.
And to everybody reading—
Whether you're in America, the Philippines, somewhere else in Asia, or anywhere around this world:
Cecilia and I love you.
We're praying for you.
And whatever God has called you to do—
DON'T QUIT.
The road may be long.
Resources may be limited.
Doors may close.
People may misunderstand you.
But if God called you—
keep walking.
And if you don't know Jesus Christ personally, don't put that decision off.
Today is a wonderful day to come home.
God bless you.
Mabuhay—and may the Lord richly bless you and your family.
A NOTE TO OUR READERS
This article uses a fictional mock-interview format. Citizens Voice, its described founder, employees, investors, organizational history, and the August 2, 2026 interview itself are fictional literary devices. The biographical and ministry information concerning Pastor James Langston and Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International is presented from ministry-provided background and is intended to communicate POMI's history, beliefs, work, and vision.
HELP US HELP THEM—ONE SOUL AT A TIME.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International
Your Feet to the Nations
We are your eyes, ears, mouths, and feet in Asia.
🌎 Ministry: pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Bookstore: thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📰 Ministry Blog: joybells49.blogspot.com
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International Bookstore
Knowledge and Wisdom in Book Form
100% of our book royalties support our missionary and outreach efforts.
#JamesLangston #PastorJamesLangston #CitizensVoice #MockInterview #MissionaryInterview #PilgrimOutreachMinistriesInternational #POMI #YourFeetToTheNations #HelpUsHelpThem #OneSoulAtATime #Missionary #MissionaryLife #PhilippinesMissions #AsiaMissions #Philippines #Asia #ChristianMinistry #ChristianMissionary #GreatCommission #Acts169 #JesusChrist #JesusSaves #Gospel #Evangelism #Discipleship #ChurchPlanting #FaithBasedMinistry #Faith #Prayer #ChristianLeadership #MinistryLeadership #Veteran #NavyVeteran #ChristianAuthor #FullGospel #Interdenominational #Missions #PutFeetToYourFaith

Comments
Post a Comment