⚠️ HEAVEN. HELL. GOD. JESUS. ETERNITY. AND ONE QUESTION YOU CANNOT AVOID.

Questions I Have Been Asked for More Than 50 Years—and the Biblical Answers Some People May Not Want to Hear

Let me begin with a warning.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE BIBLE, YOU PROBABLY WON'T BELIEVE MUCH OF WHAT FOLLOWS.

Why?

Because I am not going to attempt to answer questions about heaven, hell, God, Jesus Christ, salvation, judgment, and eternity by inventing my own version of truth.

I am a Christian.

My starting point is Scripture.

If your starting point is that the Bible cannot be trusted, then naturally some of my conclusions will contradict yours.

But disagreement does not settle the question of who is right.

And when the subject is eternity, that distinction matters.

For more than 50 years of serving the Lord, I have heard variations of the questions below. Some were asked sincerely. Some skeptically. Some humorously. Others came from people who were genuinely frightened.

Perhaps you have asked some of them yourself.

So let's put them on the table.

No dancing around them.

No watering them down.

No pretending difficult questions don't exist.

LET'S TALK ABOUT ETERNITY.


1. IS THERE A HEAVEN?

According to Jesus Christ:

YES.

Jesus told His disciples:

“In my Father's house are many mansions... I go to prepare a place for you.” — John 14:2

The Christian hope is not simply that death makes us disappear into some vague spiritual energy.

Scripture describes an eternal future with God.

Revelation 21 presents perhaps one of its most beautiful pictures: God dwelling with His people, death gone, sorrow gone, crying gone, and pain gone.

That is heaven's great attraction.

Not streets of gold.

Not gates of pearl.

Not mansions.

GOD IS THERE.

Everything else is secondary.


2. WHO GOES TO HEAVEN?

Here we encounter one of Christianity's most misunderstood teachings.

The Bible does not teach:

Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell.

If that were the standard, we'd immediately have another problem:

HOW GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH?

Romans 3:23 says:

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.”

That includes pastors.

Missionaries.

Grandmothers.

Politicians.

Teachers.

Businesspeople.

Atheists.

Christians.

Me.

You.

Nobody reaches heaven by accumulating enough good deeds to overcome their sins.

Jesus said:

“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” — John 14:6

Heaven is not a prize awarded to people who accumulated the highest morality score.

SALVATION IS BY THE GRACE OF GOD THROUGH FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST.


3. IS THERE A HELL?

This is where conversations often become uncomfortable.

According to Scripture:

YES.

And contrary to what some people imagine, Jesus did not avoid the subject.

He warned about judgment because judgment matters.

Matthew 25:46 speaks of eternal punishment contrasted with eternal life. Revelation 20:11–15 describes final judgment with sobering seriousness.

I understand why people dislike the doctrine.

I DON'T LIKE IT EITHER.

I don't want anyone to go to hell.

But my dislike of something cannot determine whether it exists.

I don't like cancer.

I don't like war.

I don't like funerals.

My emotional reaction doesn't alter reality.

If Scripture's warnings concerning hell are true, the loving response isn't pretending hell doesn't exist.

THE LOVING RESPONSE IS WARNING PEOPLE HOW TO AVOID IT.


4. WHO GOES TO HELL?

Biblically, hell isn't reserved for people we consider especially terrible.

That misconception allows us to comfort ourselves by finding someone worse.

“I've never murdered anybody.”

“I help people.”

“I pay my bills.”

“I'm a decent person.”

“I've done more good than bad.”

But Scripture's question isn't:

Are you better than somebody else?

It is:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH JESUS CHRIST?

John 3:18 says that the person believing in Christ is not condemned, while the person who does not believe is condemned already.

This is why the Gospel matters so much.

Humanity's problem is sin.

God's answer is Christ.


5. WHAT IF I REFUSE TO BELIEVE HEAVEN OR HELL EXISTS?

You are free to reject the proposition.

God does not force intellectual agreement.

But rejecting the possibility does not settle whether the proposition is true.

Suppose someone tells me:

“Pastor James, I don't believe in gravity.”

All right.

Jumping from a roof would still be an exceptionally poor experiment.

Reality doesn't require my permission.

That principle works both ways.

A Christian saying heaven exists doesn't prove heaven exists merely because the Christian believes it.

And an atheist saying heaven doesn't exist doesn't prove heaven doesn't exist merely because the atheist rejects it.

THE QUESTION ISN'T WHAT MAKES US COMFORTABLE.

THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS TRUE.

If Christianity is false, then Christians have profoundly misunderstood reality.

But if Christianity is true, rejecting it does not insulate anyone from its consequences.

That is why sitting on the fence is itself consequential.


6. WHO DECIDES WHETHER I'M GOOD ENOUGH FOR HEAVEN?

Not me.

Not your pastor.

Not your church.

Not your parents.

Not social media.

And ultimately, not you.

GOD DOES.

But again, Christianity's message isn't:

“Become good enough.”

Ephesians 2:8–9 teaches salvation by grace through faith, “not of works.”

Christianity makes a remarkable claim:

YOU CANNOT SAVE YOURSELF.

That's offensive to human pride.

We want to earn it.

Achieve it.

Deserve it.

Control it.

But the Gospel says salvation is received.

Jesus did what we couldn't.


7. WHO DECIDES WHETHER I'M BAD ENOUGH FOR HELL?

This question assumes there is a sliding scale.

Hitler down here.

Mother Teresa up there.

Most of us somewhere comfortably in the middle.

But God's holiness isn't graded on humanity's curve.

Romans 6:23 says:

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

Notice both halves.

Sin brings death.

But—

GOD OFFERS LIFE.

The Gospel doesn't say, “Look how terrible you are.”

The Gospel says:

Look how desperately we all need a Saviour.


8. IF I GO TO HEAVEN AND DECIDE I WANT TO LEAVE, CAN I?

Interesting question.

But Scripture gives no picture of redeemed people arriving in God's presence, discovering perfect holiness, joy, peace, righteousness, and life—and then requesting transportation back to sin, suffering, death, grief, and corruption.

Revelation 21:4 says:

“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death...”

Think about what is being asked.

Would you want to leave a place where death no longer exists to return to a world where it does?

Would you abandon perfect fellowship with God to return to cancer, funerals, hatred, betrayal, loneliness, war, temptation, and pain?

Heaven isn't merely Earth with nicer scenery.

IT IS LIFE IN THE UNBROKEN PRESENCE OF GOD.


9. IF I GO TO HELL AND DECIDE I WANT TO LEAVE, CAN I?

This question reminds me of the 2000 Christian film Escape from Hell.

The movie follows Dr. Eric Robinson, a skeptic fascinated by near-death experiences, while his colleague Dr. Marissa Holloway seeks evidence concerning what awaits people after death. Eric deliberately induces cardiac arrest while investigating near-death experiences and encounters the terrifying possibility that hell is not merely an invention of imagination. The film ultimately builds toward the Christian choice of accepting or rejecting Christ.

It is important to make the distinction:

THAT IS A MOVIE.

It isn't Scripture.

We should not build theology from a screenplay.

But the question raised by its premise is biblical:

Can someone wait until after death, discover hell is real, and then change destinations?

Jesus' account of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19–31 gives a sobering answer.

The rich man wants relief.

But Abraham describes a “great gulf fixed” between the two destinations.

Hebrews 9:27 adds:

“It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.”

The Bible presents this earthly life—not the afterlife—as the place where our response to God must be made.

DON'T BUILD YOUR ETERNAL PLAN AROUND THE POSSIBILITY OF AN EXIT DOOR SCRIPTURE NEVER PROMISES.


10. WHAT IS HEAVEN'S “SELLING POINT”?

I love this question because the answer isn't what many people expect.

Heaven's greatest selling point isn't gold.

It isn't mansions.

It isn't seeing relatives.

It isn't escaping bills.

It isn't even living forever.

HEAVEN'S GREATEST TREASURE IS GOD.

Revelation 21:3 says:

“Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them...”

Think about everything sin damaged.

Our relationship with God.

Our relationship with ourselves.

Our relationships with others.

Even creation itself.

The Christian promise is restoration.

No death.

No curse.

No separation from God.

No sin.

No evil.

No funeral homes.

No cemeteries.

No hospitals.

No goodbye.

The question almost reverses itself:

WHY WOULD ANYONE CHOOSE SEPARATION FROM GOD OVER THAT?


11. PROVE TO ME THERE IS A GOD

Now we need intellectual honesty.

If by “prove” you mean demonstrate God through a laboratory experiment exactly as we demonstrate a chemical reaction, I cannot do that.

Neither can I put love, consciousness, morality, or the laws of logic into a jar.

But absence of that kind of proof isn't absence of evidence.

Christian thinkers historically point toward several lines of reasoning: the existence and origin of the universe, the apparent order and intelligibility of nature, objective moral obligations, human consciousness, religious experience, and the historical claims surrounding Jesus Christ.

Scripture itself begins elsewhere:

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” — Genesis 1:1

And Psalm 19:1 declares:

“The heavens declare the glory of God...”

Romans 1:20 similarly argues that creation reveals something about its Creator.

Could someone examine the same universe and reach a different conclusion?

Of course.

People do.

Faith isn't the absence of thought.

BUT NEITHER IS UNBELIEF THE ABSENCE OF ASSUMPTIONS.

Everyone ultimately has to ask:

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Why is the universe intelligible?

Why do conscious beings capable of asking these questions exist?

Christianity answers:

BECAUSE BEHIND CREATION IS A CREATOR.


12. PROVE TO ME THAT GOD'S SON IS JESUS CHRIST

Here Christianity moves from philosophy into history.

Jesus of Nazareth isn't merely an idea.

Christianity makes claims about a person who lived in history.

The New Testament identifies Him as the Son of God, records His ministry and crucifixion, and bases Christianity upon the claim that He rose bodily from the dead.

John writes:

“These are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God...” — John 20:31

And Paul makes Christianity unusually vulnerable to investigation.

In 1 Corinthians 15:14 he essentially says:

If Christ wasn't raised, our preaching and faith are vain.

That's remarkable.

Christianity doesn't say:

“Believe this whether it happened or not.”

It stakes everything on an event it says actually happened.

Did Jesus exist?

Was He crucified?

What did His earliest followers believe happened afterward?

Why did the Christian movement explode around the proclamation of a risen Christ?

Those are historical questions worth investigating seriously.

Ultimately Christianity says:

JESUS IS NOT MERELY SOMEONE WHO SHOWS US A WAY TO GOD.

HE IS THE WAY.


13. PROVE THIS WORLD IS REAL AND NOT A DREAM THAT NEVER ENDS

Now we've entered philosophy.

How can you prove with absolute certainty that you're not dreaming?

Or inside a simulation?

Or experiencing some extraordinarily elaborate illusion?

Philosophers have wrestled with versions of this question for centuries.

Absolute proof of an external world independent of our consciousness is surprisingly difficult if the skeptic permits every conceivable possibility.

But here's the practical problem.

Even dreams require a dreamer.

Illusions require consciousness experiencing the illusion.

And the world we experience demonstrates extraordinary continuity.

Actions produce consequences.

Other people appear to possess independent minds.

Physical laws behave predictably.

Memories connect across time.

Evidence can be independently examined.

If this entire existence is a dream, it is an astonishingly stable one in which touching a hot stove continues producing remarkably consistent results.

Christianity goes farther.

It claims creation is real because God created it.

Genesis begins:

“In the beginning God created...”

The world isn't God.

The world isn't an illusion.

It is creation.

Damaged by sin?

Yes.

Temporary in its present form?

Yes.

But real.

And what we do here matters precisely because it is real.


⚠️ “BUT THAT'S YOUR TRUTH.”

No.

That phrase needs examination.

I have beliefs.

You have beliefs.

I have interpretations.

You have interpretations.

I can be mistaken.

So can you.

But truth itself cannot simply mean whatever each individual prefers.

If I say Jesus rose from the dead and you say He didn't, both statements cannot be historically true in the same sense at the same time.

One of us is wrong.

Maybe me.

Maybe you.

But contradiction cannot magically transform into two simultaneous truths simply because both people sincerely believe their position.

SINCERITY DOES NOT CREATE REALITY.

A sincerely wrong answer remains wrong.

That's why these questions deserve more than slogans.


🚧 AND NOW WE ARRIVE AT THE FENCE

Perhaps you haven't rejected Jesus.

But you haven't accepted Him either.

You're watching.

Thinking.

Questioning.

Waiting.

Maybe you've spent years there.

Let me ask something:

WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Another sermon?

Another sign?

Another birthday?

Another funeral?

Another crisis?

Another twenty years?

You should ask questions.

Investigate Christianity.

Read the Bible critically and carefully.

Examine the claims concerning Jesus.

Don't believe simply because I told you.

But don't reject Him merely because the implications of believing Him are uncomfortable.

And don't mistake indefinite postponement for neutrality.

Jesus said:

“He that is not with me is against me...” — Matthew 12:30

Eventually, the fence ends.


✝️ THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION WASN'T ON THE LIST

We've discussed:

Is heaven real?

Is hell real?

Who goes where?

Can I leave?

Does God exist?

Is Jesus His Son?

Is reality itself real?

All fascinating questions.

But one question towers above the rest:

WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH JESUS CHRIST?

Because if Christianity is true, eternity doesn't turn on whether you won every theological argument.

It turns on Christ.

Romans 10:9 says:

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”

You don't have to know everything before coming to Jesus.

You don't have to answer every philosophical puzzle.

You don't have to understand every verse.

You come by faith.


🙏 BEFORE YOU CLOSE THIS PAGE

Maybe you disagree with half of what I wrote.

Maybe ninety percent.

That's okay.

I'm not asking you to pretend you believe something you don't.

I'm asking you to consider whether these questions are important enough to investigate before you run out of time to investigate them.

Ask God:

“God, if You are there, show me the truth. Strip away my pride, my assumptions, my fears, and even the things I desperately want to be true. Lead me to what actually is true.”

Then open the Bible.

Start with the Gospel of John.

Meet Jesus there.

Ask questions.

Keep reading.

And whatever conclusion you eventually reach—

DON'T GAMBLE ETERNITY ON SOMETHING YOU NEVER BOTHERED TO INVESTIGATE.


THE FENCE IS NOT A DESTINATION

After more than 50 years of serving the Lord, I still don't claim to have every answer.

I have questions too.

But I settled the biggest question a long time ago:

I BELIEVE JESUS CHRIST.

Not because Christianity makes every day easy.

Not because I've never experienced doubt.

Not because I understand everything God does.

But because after everything I have seen, studied, experienced, questioned, prayed about, endured, and witnessed—

I trust Him.

Now the question belongs to you.

HEAVEN? HELL? GOD? JESUS? ETERNITY?

Investigate them.

Ask the difficult questions.

Read the Scriptures.

But please don't sit on the fence forever.

ETERNITY IS TOO LONG TO LEAVE TO “MAYBE.”


Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International

Your Feet to the Nations

🌎 Ministry: pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Bookstore: thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📰 Ministry Blog: joybells49.blogspot.com

@MENTIONS

@joybells49 @YouVersion @BibleGateway @AmericanBible @BibleProject @JesusFilm @BillyGraham @OurDailyBread @TBN @CBNNews @ChristianPost @CruGlobal @Crossway @Ligonier @DesiringGod @ChristianityToday

#HASHTAGS

#Heaven #Hell #Eternity #IsThereAGod #DoesGodExist #JesusChrist #WhoIsJesus #SonOfGod #IsHeavenReal #IsHellReal #LifeAfterDeath #Afterlife #EternalLife #EternalDestiny #Salvation #JesusSaves #BornAgain #Gospel #GoodNews #BibleQuestions #QuestionsAboutGod #ChristianApologetics #EvidenceForGod #EvidenceForJesus #TruthMatters #WhatIsTruth #FaithAndReason #ChristianFaith #BibleTruth #WordOfGod #John146 #Romans109 #GraceOfGod #Judgment #HeavenIsReal #EternityMatters #AreYouReady #KnowJesus #ComeToJesus #ChooseJesus #GreatCommission #OneMoreSoul #ChristianLiving #PilgrimOutreach #YourFeetToTheNations

Comments