GOD NEVER DESIGNED THE CHRISTIAN LIFE TO BE LIVED ALONE

The Danger of the “Lone Ranger” Christian

“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God…”

— Ephesians 4:11–13 (KJV)

There is a troubling mentality growing within the Body of Christ:

“I don’t need anybody.”

“I can worship God by myself.”

“I don’t need a pastor.”

“I don’t need a church.”

“I don’t need spiritual accountability.”

“It’s just me and Jesus.”

That may sound independent. It may even sound spiritual.

But it is not the pattern Christ established for His Church.

Ephesians 4:11–13 makes something unmistakably clear: Jesus Christ intentionally placed ministry gifts within His Body.

He gave apostles.

He gave prophets.

He gave evangelists.

He gave pastors.

He gave teachers.

Why?

Not so people could have impressive titles.

Not so ministers could build personal kingdoms.

Not so Christians could blindly follow human beings.

Christ gave these gifts “for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”

In other words, God designed His Church so that believers need one another.

THE “LONE RANGER” MENTALITY CONTRADICTS THE BODY

Paul repeatedly describes the Church as a body.

A hand separated from the body cannot say, “I don’t need the arm.”

An eye cannot say, “I don’t need the head.”

A foot cannot decide that it will function perfectly well disconnected from everything else.

Separation eventually produces weakness.

That is why 1 Corinthians 12:21 declares:

“And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee…”

Yet spiritually, that is precisely what some believers have begun saying.

“I have no need of a pastor.”

“I have no need of teachers.”

“I have no need of fellowship.”

“I have no need of correction.”

“I have no need of accountability.”

But if Jesus gave these ministries to His Church, who are we to declare that we have no need of what He gave?

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FOLLOWING GOD AND FOLLOWING PEOPLE

This must also be said clearly.

Ephesians 4 is not permission for spiritual abuse.

It does not mean pastors are dictators.

It does not mean Christians should obey leaders who contradict Scripture.

It does not mean church leaders stand between believers and Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the Head of the Church.

Every pastor, teacher, evangelist, prophet, apostle—and every believer—is ultimately accountable to Him.

But abuses of spiritual authority do not invalidate biblical spiritual authority.

The answer to bad leadership is not rejecting Christ’s design altogether.

OUR CHILDREN ARE WATCHING

The “lone ranger” mentality rarely affects only one person.

Our families watch what we do.

When children repeatedly hear:

“We don’t need church.”

“We don’t need pastors.”

“We don’t trust anybody.”

“We can do this ourselves.”

they may eventually conclude:

“Then perhaps I don’t need Christianity at all.”

What one generation treats casually, another generation may completely abandon.

Parents must therefore ask themselves:

What spiritual pattern am I establishing for those coming behind me?

GOD'S WAY OR OUR WAY

This is ultimately the issue.

God has a way.

And we have a way.

Proverbs 14:12 warns:

“There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.”

Our way can seem logical.

Our way can feel comfortable.

Our way can even appear successful for a season.

But when our way contradicts God's revealed Word, our way is wrong.

Jesus did not establish His Church accidentally.

He did not give ministry gifts unnecessarily.

He did not command believers to assemble together because He had nothing better to say.

Hebrews 10:25 warns us not to forsake “the assembling of ourselves together.”

Acts 2 shows believers continuing together in doctrine, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer.

Ephesians 4 shows Christ giving ministers to equip His people.

First Corinthians 12 shows believers functioning together as one body.

The biblical pattern is unmistakable:

Christianity was never designed to be a solo journey.

BEFORE YOU WALK AWAY

Perhaps someone reading this has been hurt by a church.

Maybe a pastor disappointed you.

Maybe Christians mistreated you.

Maybe you witnessed hypocrisy.

Those wounds can be very real.

But please hear this:

Do not allow someone's failure to persuade you to reject something Jesus Himself established.

Find a Bible-believing, Christ-centered, Scripture-teaching church.

Seek godly leadership.

Become accountable.

Serve.

Pray.

Worship.

Learn.

Grow.

Help somebody else grow.

Because Ephesians 4 tells us where Christ intends this process to lead:

“Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God…”

Notice the language:

WE ALL.

Not me alone.

Not my family alone.

Not Jesus and me against everybody else.

We all.

The Church is a Body.

The Church is a family.

The Church is a fellowship of believers under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

And God has placed gifts within that Body for our growth, maturity, protection, service, and edification.

We can choose God's way.

Or we can insist upon our own.

But Scripture has already warned us where man's way ultimately leads.

God's way remains right—even when His way challenges ours.

Before deciding that you no longer need the Church, ask yourself a much more serious question:

Has God changed His Word—or have I decided that my way is better than His?

The answer may be uncomfortable.

But it may also be the very answer that brings us back home.

Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International
Your Feet to the Nations

🌎 Ministry: pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Bookstore: thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📰 Ministry Blog: joybells49.blogspot.com

Relevant @Mentions:
@YouVersion @BibleGateway @bibleproject @ChristianityToday @OutreachMagazine @ChurchLeaders @CrosswalkCom @FocusFamily

Hashtags:
#Ephesians4 #BodyOfChrist #ChurchMatters #ChristianFellowship #BiblicalTruth #ChurchFamily #SpiritualGrowth #ChristianLeadership #Faithfulness #BibleTeaching #JesusChrist #ChristianLiving #KingdomOfGod #FollowJesus #PilgrimOutreachMinistries

Comments