James Langston: A Life of Faith, Family, Service, and Mission
Senior Pastor. Christian. Missionary. Husband. Father. Grandfather. Retired Naval Veteran. Still Serving.
“But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus.” — Acts 20:24
How do you summarize a life?
Is it measured by years?
Accomplishments?
Titles?
Places traveled?
People met?
Books written?
Children and grandchildren?
Or perhaps, when everything else is stripped away, a life is best understood by answering one simple question:
What did you do with what God gave you?
As I approach my 68th birthday, I find myself thinking about that question more often.
I have worn quite a few titles during my lifetime.
Christian.
Husband.
Father.
Grandfather.
Sailor.
Naval officer.
Pastor.
Missionary.
Author.
But underneath every title is simply James Langston—a man who has experienced God's grace, made mistakes, learned lessons, traveled a considerable distance, and discovered that no matter how many chapters of life have already been written, God can still have another assignment waiting.
And I'm still moving.
Before Everything Else, I Am a Christian
Before pastor.
Before missionary.
Before author.
Before military service.
There was Jesus.
I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior in 1973 when I was 14 years old.
But the fingerprints of God upon my life appeared even earlier.
I grew up in a large family, one of eight children raised in a single-mother home. We did not possess everything this world considers important, but I learned something that has remained with me throughout my life:
The prayers of one godly person can reach farther than anyone realizes.
My great-grandmother prayed.
Those prayers mattered.
My grandmother recognized something upon my life while I was still a little boy.
At six years old, I certainly could not have understood where the road would eventually lead.
But God did.
Looking backward now, I can see moments that seemed disconnected when they occurred but eventually became part of the same story.
That is one of the beautiful things about walking with God.
We live life forward, but often understand His handiwork looking backward.
Then Came the United States Navy
On June 4, 1976, another major chapter began.
I entered the United States Navy.
I was young.
There was much about life I did not know.
And I certainly could not have imagined that what began with boot camp in San Diego would become a 27-year Naval career.
My journey began in the enlisted ranks as a Radioman.
My first ship was the USS Dubuque (LPD-8).
Over the years came new assignments, increasing responsibilities, leadership opportunities, deployments, challenges, friendships, separations from family, successes, disappointments, and lessons that no classroom could have taught me.
In 1988, I became a Chief Petty Officer.
In 1991, I was commissioned as a Chief Warrant Officer.
In 1996, I transitioned into the Limited Duty Officer community.
Eventually, after 27 years of service, I retired from the Navy in 2003.
The Navy gave me much.
Discipline.
Leadership experience.
Exposure to different cultures.
The ability to work with people from vastly different backgrounds.
An appreciation for preparation.
And perhaps most importantly, the understanding that mission requires commitment.
You don't abandon the assignment simply because conditions become difficult.
That lesson followed me from military service directly into ministry.
A Sailor Who Met God in a Storeroom
One of the most important moments of my spiritual life happened aboard a Navy ship.
It was November 4, 1985.
I was aboard the USS Fletcher (DD-992), a Spruance-class destroyer.
I had questions about the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.
Was it real?
Was speaking in tongues biblical?
Was it something only for the early Church?
Was it something people manufactured emotionally?
I didn't want somebody else's opinion.
I wanted an answer from God.
So I locked myself inside one of our supply storerooms and prayed.
My request was simple:
“If it is real, then I want it. Please baptize me with the Holy Spirit.”
What followed remains as real to me today as it was then.
In my mind, I saw the Holy Spirit come through those locked doors as a flame of fire, move slowly behind me, and touch the top of my head.
At that moment, my hands went upward and I began speaking in another tongue.
Some will explain that experience differently.
They are free to do so.
But I was there.
I experienced it.
And more than four decades later, I can still say:
It was real.
That encounter became another landmark along a much longer spiritual journey.
Then There Is Cecilia
Military records can tell you where someone served.
A résumé can list accomplishments.
But neither can adequately explain the person who walked beside you while life was happening.
For me, that person is my wife, Cecilia.
We met in the Philippines on November 29, 1978.
We married on March 14, 1979, in Olongapo.
We were young.
Neither of us could possibly have known everything waiting ahead.
Military transfers.
Deployments.
Children.
Bills.
Moves.
Ministry.
Good seasons.
Difficult seasons.
Laughter.
Tears.
Disagreements.
Reconciliations.
Growing older.
And the thousands of ordinary days that eventually become a marriage.
More than four decades later, she is still here.
And so am I.
That means something.
Marriage has taught me lessons that no pulpit ever could.
Love is more than emotion.
It is commitment.
It is forgiveness.
It is patience.
It is learning another person—and then discovering that both of you continue changing.
It is choosing each other again and again.
I have accomplished many things in my lifetime, but being Cecilia's husband remains one of the roles I treasure most.
Dad
Then came the children.
Six of them.
Anyone who has raised children knows that fatherhood has a remarkable way of revealing how little you actually know. 😄
Children do not arrive with instruction manuals.
You learn while doing.
Sometimes you get it right.
Sometimes you don't.
Sometimes your children teach you as much as you teach them.
Being a father changed how I understood responsibility.
It also changed how I understood God.
When Scripture speaks about our Heavenly Father loving His children, correcting His children, providing for His children, and refusing to abandon His children, fatherhood gives those passages another dimension.
You begin to understand something about love that says:
“You're mine, and I'm not walking away from you.”
And Then Came One of Life's Great Rewards—Grandchildren
If children teach responsibility, grandchildren teach you to enjoy the scenery. 😄
Fifteen grandchildren later, I have discovered that “Granddad” is a pretty good title.
Grandchildren remind you that life keeps moving.
They also remind you that legacy is not primarily what you leave to people.
It is what you leave in them.
Money can disappear.
Possessions eventually belong to someone else.
Awards collect dust.
But faith, character, stories, values, memories, and prayers can travel through generations.
I want my grandchildren to remember more than what Granddad accomplished.
I want them to know Who Granddad believed.
I want them to know that prayer works.
That Jesus Christ is real.
That integrity matters.
That family matters.
That falling down isn't the end.
And that as long as God gives you another morning, there is still something worthwhile you can do with it.
Pastor
Eventually, another title became increasingly prominent:
Pastor.
Today, I serve as Senior Pastor of Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International.
Pastoring is sometimes misunderstood.
People see the sermon.
They don't always see the preparation.
They see Sunday.
They don't see Tuesday night.
They see the preacher standing before people.
They don't see him praying alone.
They don't see the telephone calls, burdens, disappointments, counseling, studying, planning, unanswered questions, or occasions when the pastor himself needs encouragement.
Ministry has taught me that people do not need perfect pastors.
They need faithful ones.
They need someone willing to tell them the truth while still loving them.
Someone willing to pray.
Someone willing to listen.
Someone willing to admit, “I don't know.”
And someone willing to keep pointing beyond himself toward Jesus Christ.
Missionary
There is something about the word “Go” that has never left me.
Jesus said:
“Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” — Mark 16:15
I believe He meant it.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International has carried ministry across national boundaries, including approximately two decades of involvement in Italy.
Then, on March 29, 2025, another chapter opened:
The Philippines.
In many ways, it felt like life had traveled in a circle.
The country where I met my wife decades earlier was becoming central to our missionary future.
Today, our vision includes evangelism, church planting, discipleship, educational assistance, children and youth outreach, compassionate assistance, medical and dental outreach, tent revivals, and helping communities wherever God opens doors.
And we believe the Philippines can become a strategic base for reaching farther throughout Asia.
Our ministry often says:
“We are your eyes, ears, mouths, and feet in Asia.”
That isn't simply a slogan.
It describes what missionary partnership means.
Some go.
Some send.
Some pray.
Some give.
But together, we reach people.
Author
Somewhere along this journey, writing also became part of the assignment.
One book became another.
And another.
Today, more than forty books bear my name.
They address faith, prayer, Christian living, leadership, encouragement, difficult social issues, personal struggles, politics and government, relationships, suffering, spiritual growth, and questions people sometimes hesitate to ask aloud.
I don't write because I believe I possess every answer.
Far from it.
I write because I've spent enough years living to know that questions matter.
Sometimes a book allows you to sit beside someone you may never meet.
The author may be thousands of miles away—or no longer alive—yet his words can enter someone's living room at precisely the moment they need them.
That is powerful.
And as long as there are things worth saying, I'll probably keep writing.
What Keeps Me Going?
People sometimes assume that approaching 68 means slowing everything down.
Well...
My body occasionally submits that recommendation. 😄
But purpose keeps answering:
Not yet.
I exercise.
I run.
I bowl.
I work around the house.
I enjoy gardening.
I cook.
I write.
I study.
I spend time with family.
I work on ministry projects.
I pray.
And I keep moving.
Not because I am trying to pretend I'm 28.
I'm not.
I've earned every year between then and now.
Staying active is stewardship.
If God has work for me to do, I want to remain capable of doing it.
If He says go, I want my feet capable of going.
If He gives me another book, I want my mind sharp enough to write it.
If grandchildren want Granddad involved, I want enough energy to participate.
And if another ministry door opens tomorrow, I don't want to spend today preparing to quit.
I Am Still Learning
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of getting older is finally becoming comfortable admitting how much you don't know.
At 20, we sometimes think we understand the world.
At nearly 68, I have considerably more questions. 😄
But I also have considerably more evidence of God's faithfulness.
I've seen prayers answered.
I've seen doors open.
I've seen doors close—and later thanked God they did.
I've experienced disappointment.
I've experienced miracles.
I've buried dreams and watched God birth others.
I've watched children become adults.
I've watched grandchildren begin finding their own places in the world.
I've watched technology transform society.
I've watched nations change.
I've watched culture change.
And through every change, one constant has remained:
God has been faithful.
This Is Not a Retirement Story
I retired from the United States Navy.
I did not retire from life.
And I certainly did not retire from God's service.
There remains too much to do.
There are souls who need Jesus.
There are people who need encouragement.
There are books still unwritten.
There are communities we haven't reached.
There are prayers still being prayed.
There are grandchildren still growing.
There are lessons I haven't learned.
And there are places God may still say:
“Go.”
If He does, my answer remains the same:
“Here am I; send me.” — Isaiah 6:8
Who Is James Langston?
After all these words, perhaps the simplest answer is still the best.
I am a Christian who loves Jesus Christ.
A husband who loves his wife.
A father who loves his children.
A grandfather who treasures his grandchildren.
A retired Sailor grateful for the privilege of serving his country.
A pastor who loves people.
A missionary burdened for souls.
An author who still believes words can change lives.
And a man approaching 68 who knows that every remaining day is a gift from God.
I have gotten some things right.
I have gotten some things wrong.
I've laughed.
I've cried.
I've succeeded.
I've failed.
I've learned.
I've grown.
And through it all...
Grace has carried me.
One Final Thought
Psalm 92:14 says:
“They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing.”
I like that.
Because I don't want the final chapters of my life merely to recount what I used to do.
I want them to testify about what God is still doing.
Still believing.
Still praying.
Still writing.
Still preaching.
Still loving.
Still learning.
Still serving.
Still going.
And yes...
Still moving.
Not because the road behind me has been short.
But because, by the grace of God,
there is still road ahead.
Pilgrim Outreach Ministries International
🌍 Ministry Website
pomitaly.homestead.com
📚 Christian Bookstore
thewilltosucceed.homestead.com
📝 Ministry Blog
joybells49.blogspot.com
@joybells49 @YouVersion @BibleGateway
#JamesLangston #FaithFamilyService #ChristianLiving #ChristianMissionary #PastoralMinistry #ChristianAuthor #USNavyVeteran #StillServing #StillMoving #PilgrimOutreach

Comments
Post a Comment